Friday, September 22, 2006

Grocery Shopping

So those that know me, know that I like to find ways to save money and cut costs, where appropriate. I thought it'd be a good idea that given the many grocery store (and drug store) options in the area, I would visit the individual sites to determine who had what I needed on sale and base my grocery shopping lists on each grocery store thereby making visits to multiple stores/locations.

I visited about three stores online and browsed their online weekly ads. An hour passed by and I barely noticed the time was gone. I still hadn't even made it to an actual grocery store.

So I went to the first store, CVS, and was disappointed to know that most of the items I wanted to get were no longer in stock--rendering my trip barely worth it.

Next stop, Dominicks (a Chicago-based chain owned by the Safeway people) and the items I had viewed online on sale were not actually on sale at the store! This could've been a wasted trip but I tried to salvage what I could. At this point, I didn't think I'd make it to the third grocery store.

However, after surveying what I'd actually purchased, I knew I wasn't done just yet.

My third and final stop, Jewel-Osco (a chain owned by the Albertsons' people). Despite me trying to avoid shopping at this one store, I realize why people do--practically everything I was looking to purchase (and stuff that I hadn't initially planned) was on sale! So this shopping trip was the best out of the three.

Lesson learned: Setting aside an hour for grocery shopping planning is a waste of time and money. Just go to the store and get what you can get!

No comments: