Monday, November 20, 2006

Sunday Paper

I got my hands on a Sunday Chicago Tribune. As a typical Sunday paper is, it was loaded with circulars and extras--the things I really like to see.

I slipped back into my old newpaper "reading" method as I pulled out the A-section and business section and selected my favorite store ads, tossing the rest of the giant heap aside. I always look at the circulars in order of least interested to most so I looked at the Target ad last.

With it being Christmas shopping season (already), I saw the latest toys that I knew little children across the country would look forward to opening on December 25. Ironically, looking at those toy ads brought me back to my childhood.

I'd peruse those ads, marking and tearing out the items I most wanted. I'd start weeks before making a list--keeping in mind the things that I could probably get and hoping for the things I'd love to get but likely wouldn't. Ahhh...It was such a sweet memory...As I held that ad in my hands, for a moment, I was that little kid again. I was anxious for Christmas and all the presents it would bring.

But now, as I bring myself back to reality, I am content with being with my family for the holidays. I don't spend any time figuring out what I want anymore.

Christmas means so much more.

No comments: