Friday, July 13, 2007

RStheGr8: Work Social Life

Since my first job out of college up until now, I've learned a lot about the importance of work social life. Even now in my temporary work situation, it is critical for me to form relationships and those usually develop after work hours. I'm taking advantage of every opportunity to socialize with co-workers from happy hours to baseball games to lunches. I consider it an investment of my time and money into a bigger long-term reward.

A year ago, I would always pause when co-workers inquired about my weekend plans. Now, I realize that that's one way to forge a connection. I realize that although I didn't always feel like participating, I was only hurting myself. I'm sure I missed out on some deeper connections and friendships in the workplace. Part of a positive work life balance is engagement.

How can you really be engaged if you only go to work and come home every day? That leaves the potential to miss out on so much.

Do you have any thoughts on work-life balance and forming friendships on the job?

No comments: