Tuesday, May 06, 2008

When life was all scoops and ice cream...

The people I'm working with now remind me of when life was simple. With me being so green in my career, it's amazing that I'm working with people who have been with the same company for decades—longer than I've even been alive.

 

I remember when I landed my very first job. I was serving up ice cream at the local Baskin Robbins, which was literally a 10 minute walk from my house. I was 16 years old and so excited to be making $6 an hour. It felt like a lot of money to me. I worked there for about two years, steadily earning a little bit more every several months. If I were still working there today, I'd probably be making about $12 an hour and I'd be 15 pounds heavier with all the consistent ice cream consumption. I wonder if life would still be "simple"? Would I be any happier?

 

For example, my biggest concerns while I was working there:

 

* If the "thick as a brick" milkshake lady would come in and order us around to prepare for her the perfect shake.

* If we'd run out of a flavor of ice cream before our next shipment.

* If my friends would come in expecting me to shell out free ice cream.

 

But overall, I loved my job.

 

In memory of the founder of Baskin Robbins who died today, I wanted to reflect on those more "simple" times.

No comments: