Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Confrontation

I overheard a group of older women (well into their 60s) talking about confronting someone. It seems that you can live six decades (or more) and still have a problem telling someone something undesirable or upsetting to their face.

In this case, the lady didn't want to "confront" her hairstylist of 20 something years in person/face-to-face that her most recent hair appointment had turned her hair into something she hated. Instead, she informed her beautician with a note stating that she'd simply found a new hairdresser and "thanks for the 2x years of service". Her excuse: "Well she was on vacation anyways but I still wanted to let her know."

It's hard for me to believe that after so many years, it can still be difficult to give it to someone straight. It's already hard enough for me NOW. Hopefully over the next two or three decades, I can master that skill.

How awful would it be for me to write my husband a note saying "I'm sorry honey but since you didn't take out the trash last night, you have to sleep on the couch"?

That wouldn't even be anywhere near acceptable now, would it?

No comments: