Tuesday, July 10, 2007

RSdoesNU: Cheaper not to keep 'er

Sprint decided that it was cheaper to cut ties with 1,000 of their customers rather than to retain their contracts and their business.

Their reasoning: they were costing the company too much money in customer service expenses.

In a time period when customer relationships are critical, I believe in retaining only your best customers. The way the company chose to sever the ties with the less profitable companies was not great and surely does not shed the company in a good light.

However, for a company that I consider myself a good customer of (spend a lot of money, repeat business, refer a friend, etc) I would much rather a company get rid of the bad customers if it means serving me better.

Think about it. If the customer service reps (either over the phone or in a store) are available when I need them and when I'm ready to spend money...wouldn't that be much better? They could focus on serving me better and not be bothered with customers who will never be happy.

No comments: